[seqfan] Re: OEIS Wiki: Offsets

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 00:40:05 CEST 2015

>> "Think long and hard whether a(0) is naturally defined. If yes, add it."

Among the first nine OEIS sequences, A000001(0)=0 and A000003(0)=0 should
therefore be added.

>> Back to the original subject, I think it is worth while mentioning the
example of sets & lists, and also insist on the example of general
functions defined from some given value on (which may be more often 0 than
1, but also something else).

I like to think that there are two big purveyors of integer sequences:
combinatorics and number theory. Sequences coming from combinatorics are
often defined for all natural numbers (for instance, the number of group
structures up to isomorphism on a set of size n) whereas sequences coming
from number theory are often defined (or at least, interesting) for nonzero
arguments, mainly because 0 is absorbing.

Benoit