[seqfan] Re: Patterns of congruence classes modulo 2^n in reduced Collatz sequences

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sat Apr 25 15:53:53 CEST 2015

The short answer is "yes, this is well known".

The "standard" Collatz iterate is

f(n) = n/2 if n even, 3n+1 if n odd.

If n is odd, we see that the next two iterates will be 3n+1, which is even, followed by n/2.
Therefore, we can fold together the two iterates after an odd number, getting the "abbreviated" iterate:

g(n) = n/2 if n even, (3n+1)/2 if n odd.

The trajectory of g is exactly the trajectory of f, except omitting the even numbers that immediately follow an odd number.
If the trajectory of f on n eventually reaches 1, so does the trajectory of g on n, so they are equivalent in that sense.

It is well known that if you know n mod 2^k, then you know whether the trajectory of g reaches a number <= n within k steps.
For a given n, the number of elements mod 2^k that reach a smaller element within k iterations is A182137.