[seqfan] Re: On the infinity of Sophie Germain primes

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 15:57:47 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Benoît Jubin <benoit.jubin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I do not see how this follows from Motohashi's (not Hiratoshi) result
> http://matwbn.icm.edu.pl/ksiazki/aa/aa17/aa1736.pdf
> However, a weaker result that follows from Motohashi's and is enough to
> produce prime partitionable numbers with the same recipe as in the
> Trotter-Erdos article is the following, if I'm not mistaken:
> there exist infinitely many prime pairs p_1, p_2 with p_2 = 1 (mod p_1)
> and p_1 < p_2 < p_1^2 -p_1.

To be a bit more precise:
Following Motohashi, for k>0, denote by P(k) the least prime congruent to 1
modulo k.
Then by Motohashi's result, there exist infinitely many primes q such that
P(q) < C q^{1.7} for some constant C.
In particular, there exist infinitely many primes q such that P(q) < q^2-q
(for q large enough, one has C q^{1.7} < q^2-q).
Note that for these primes, q < P(q).

For such q, write, (p_1,p_2) = (q,P(q)).
We prove that d = p_1 + p_2 is prime partitionable.
Indeed, let n_1 = d p_1 p_2 and n_2 = d times all primes less than d and
different from p_1 and p_2.
Let d_1, d_2 > 0 be such that d_1 + d_2 = d and suppose that gcd(n_2,d_2)=1.
Since d_2 < d, the prime factors of d_2 can only be p_1 or p_2.
Since d = p_1 + p_2 < p_1^2, then d_2 is equal to 1 or p_1 or p_2.
Therefore d_1 = p_1 + p_2 - d_2 is divisible by p_1 or p_2 or p_1
respectively, so it is not coprime to n_1.

Regards,
Benoît