[seqfan] Re: number 999999000000

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 19:14:51 CEST 2015

Hi Neil,

It started from a question in Russian forum dxdy.ru about the
(in)finiteness of what is now A261205 from Yan Denenberg (a co-author of
A261205). This question ringed a bell in my head about A006446, which I
happened to analyze before. To my surprise, the corresponding sequence
(A261205) was not in the OEIS and I proceeded with adding it and other
sister sequences (A261206, A261341, A261342). Most amazing thing was the
discovery that 999999000000 is an element of A261206 and apparently the
largest one (I believe this sequence is finite).

It is possible to generalize this class of sequences by taking some
integer-valued function f(n,k) decreasing in k such that f(n,1)=n and
f(n,m)=c (say, c=1 or c=2) for all large enough m and considering those n
that are divisible by all f(n,1), f(n,2), ... If f(n,k) is slowly
decreasing in k, then the set corresponding n's is likely have very small
number (if any) of terms, while if f(n,k) decreases rapidly, then there
will be too many suitable n's. I believe the balance is achieved at
functions like f(n,k) = floor(n^(1/k)) so that f(n,k) stabilizes to c at k
~= log(n).

Regards,
Max