[seqfan] Re: Number of connected simplicial complexes

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Aug 18 17:26:21 CEST 2015

The way I look at it, it's not so much that it's disconnected, as that connected is not quite the right concept. Instead, one is usually interested in single-component graphs - there exists a node from which you can trace a path to every other node, rather than for all nodes you can trace a path to every other node.

The reason for preferring this is similar to why 1 is not considered a prime: every graph has a unique decomposition into single-component graphs.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters