[seqfan] Re: A000108(n) ≡ 1 (mod 6)

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Thu Dec 3 01:19:53 CET 2015

The fact that binomial(2n,n) == 0 (mod 3) iff the base 3 representation of
n contains at least one 2 follows directly from Kummer's theorem on
binomial coefficients.

Since C(n) = binomial(2n,n) - binomial(2n,n-1), Kummer's theorem says that
a necessary condition for C(n) == 0 (mod 3) is that either both or neither
of the additions 2n = n + n and 2n = (n+1) + (n-1) in base 3 have carries.
A sufficient condition is that both have carries and they have a different
number of carries.

Cheers,
Robert