[seqfan] Re: Need suggestions for test for compatible sequences for"voice leading"

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Thu Dec 3 19:19:42 CET 2015

Alexei Kourbatov wrote:

> Caveat II
> Also, such a "voice leading compatibility test" would necessarily be
> subjective. Here is why:

> To accomplish such a test one needs to infer at least two things:
> (1) the musical key signature - it is not encoded in the sequences per se
> (2) our tolerance to dissonance among voices (how often and for how long
> dissonances are allowed to occur).

He's right, but only scratches the surface.  This isn't the forum to get
into further analysis of voice-leading theory; but Neil, if we were to
specify a set of rules relating to voicing, we might able to answer at least
part of your question (in principle, we could do it with two parts, and not
three or more as is standard in certain western musical theory).

Cheers,
Bob Selcoe