[seqfan] Re: Need suggestions for test for compatible sequences for "voice leading"

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 23:20:46 CET 2015

I would suggest trying this out on a very basic level by taking a few
simple note-against-note cantus firmus and counterpoint exercises from
Fux's *Gradus ad Parnassus* (written in the form of a dialogue between
teacher and student), converting the cantus firmus and the counterpoint to
sequences of numbers of Z_12, and comparing the results against what the
teacher character evaluates the student character's work.

I predict that this would reveal a preference for sequences moving in
intervals of 1 or 2, with a preference to avoid the difference between two
voices being 6, the tritone or devil in music. Also a preference for the
first and last difference between two voices being 0 (corresponding to
either a unison or an octave).

Al

Alonso del Arte
Author at SmashWords.com