[seqfan] Re: Need suggestions for test for compatible sequences for "voice leading"

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:56:27 CET 2015

The executive summary of classical voice-leading rules is that they are not
well defined. To answer in more detail, one would have to read Fux's *Gradus
ad Parnassum* very carefully, concentrating on his "first species" (note
against note). In particular, there are rules that apply to just one voice,
that is, rules of what makes a well-formed melody, which many perfectly
comfortable melodies violate, and almost certainly most of our sequences
(interpreted as half-step numbers?) also violate these well-formedness
constraints.

Fux was no mathematician, and his lack of rigor will almost certainly have
you tearing your hair out.