[seqfan] Re: A000108(n) ≡ 1 (mod 6)

Joerg Arndt arndt at jjj.de
Fri Dec 11 17:37:04 CET 2015

Henri Cohen, A Course in Computational Algebraic Number Theory, page 26:

Lemma 1.4.5.
Let p be an odd prime, and let g be a primitive root modulo p.
Then either g or g+p is a primitive root modulo every power of p.

So you need to check that 2 is a primitive root of 9
and you are done (Pari/GP):
? znorder(Mod(2,9))
6
? znorder(Mod(2,9))==eulerphi(9)
1

Cohen, same page as above:

Therefore to find a primitive root modulo p^a for p an odd prime and a >= 2,
proceed as follows: first compute g a primitive root modulo p using Algorithm
1.4.4, then compute g_1 = g^{p-l} mod p^2. If g_1 != 1, g is a primitive root
modulo p^a for every a, otherwise g + p is.
Finally, note that when p is an odd prime, if g is a primitive root modulo
p^a then g or g + p^a (whichever is odd) is a primitive root modulo 2p^a.

Best regards,  jj

P.S.: the book is a "must have", with
"must" in big flaming letters.

* L. Edson Jeffery <lejeffery2 at gmail.com> [Dec 09. 2015 13:46]: