[seqfan] Re: Question re: A250000

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Sun Feb 8 07:52:14 CET 2015

Hi again Rob an others,

And  two more 42-queen variations for n=17:

Alternative 1:

.....WWWWW.......
.....WWWWW.......
.....WWWWW......W
.....WWWW......WW
.....WWW......WWW
......W......WWWW
.............WWWW
.............WWW.
.............WW..
...BB............
..BBB............
.BBBB............
BBBBB......BB....
BBBBB.....BBB....
BBBB......BBB....
BBB.......BBB....
BB........BBB....

Alternative 2:

....WWWW........W
....WWWW.......WW
....WWWW......WWW
....WWWW.....WWWW
.....WW......WWWW
.............WWWW
.............WWW.
.............WW..
.............W...
..BB.............
.BBB.............
BBBB.......B.....
BBBB......BBB....
BBB......BBBB....
BB......BBBBB....
B.......BBBBB....

The symmetry of the W-blocks and the quasi-symmetry of the B-blocks for the
second example surprises me.

I wonder if there are any solutions for a(n) > floor_(9n^2/64) for any n?

Cheers,
Bob S