[seqfan] Re: Purely algorithmic number sequence identification

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 11:42:45 CET 2015

Dear Philipp Emmanuel,

your program Sequencer is really interesting. In spirit, one can say it is
close to
Robert Munafo's RIES

http://mrob.com/pub/ries/index.html

but for integer sequences

It would be nice to test it on "hard" sequences and other sequences without
formula.

I have a first candidate (which is inspired by the same kind of brute force
exploration)

https://oeis.org/A229673

"The number of subsets of nonzero integers of cardinality n, produced as
the steps in a computation starting with 1 and using the operations of
multiplication, addition, or subtraction."

1, 3, 15, 126, 1667, 31966, 828678, 27535826, 1128945382, ...

Best regards,

Olivier

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Philipp Emanuel Weidmann <
pew at worldwidemann.com> wrote:

> I have been experimenting with a purely algorithmic (brute force)
> approach to the question "which formula generates this number
> sequence?", designed to complement existing systems based on database
> lookups (OEIS) and pattern transforms (Mathematica).

Mathematica has pattern transforms as part of its language but its sequence
formula recognition commands are based on mathematical theories :

 - holonomic functions, linear algebra, z-transforms, difference equations,
continuous fractions, pade approximants, ...