[seqfan] Re: Improved lower bound for A250000

Benoît Jubin benoit.jubin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 23:10:14 CET 2015

Dear Rob,

I think that you interpret the coordinates correctly. My configuration is
only a slight modification of yours, but not exactly the same, as you can
see in my example for n=24 (in a previous email of this conversation).
Also, the bound you give on the webpage, namely (after simplification),
a(4m) >= floor( (9/4)*m^2 + m/2 - 3/4 )
made me think that your configuration is given as follows (for n=4m):
One decomposes the chessboard into 16 smaller (m,m) chessboards as follows:
.A.B
.C.D
W.X.
Y.Z.
where the dots are empty chessboards and
A, B, C, D contain the queens of one color
and
W, X, Y, Z contain the queens of the other color.
Borrowing to the language of matrices, the occupied squares are as follows: