[seqfan] Re: Puzzle

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Wed Jan 21 02:46:07 CET 2015

The best I've got so far is that any a/b where a divides b-1 has this
property. Add a/b to 1 b*(b-1)/a times, and you get b. Reciprocate to
1/b, and add a/b another (b-1)/a times; this gets you to 1.

Showing that an r does not have this property is harder. One can show
that if r does not have the property, neither does r*k for any integer
k > 0; a step adding r*k can be transformed into k steps adding r. I
think I can show that 1 does not have the property; it would follow
that no integer n > 0 has the property. Every number in such a sequence
is a rational function of r (with integer coefficients), so no
irrational r can have the property.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters