[seqfan] Re: Parking lot for bad drivers

Dale Gerdemann dale.gerdemann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:44:23 CEST 2015

Here is Patricia Marx's "solution":
--X-X---
-X-----X
---X-X--
XX------
---X-X--
X------X
----X-X-
--X---X-

The bottom right corner makes clear that it's allowed for an auto to be
contiguous with two others, as long as the three are are not in the same
row, column or diagonal.

Marx's solution also seems to be based on the implicit assumption that a
row column or diagonal can contain more than two autos. The text, however
does not say this, and I doubt that adding the assumption would make the
problem more interesting.

Fazit: I believe that Veikko's "misinterpretation" is actually the author's
intended interpretation (or at least, closer to it). I'm neutral, however,
on which interpretation leads to a more interesting problem.