[seqfan] Re: Trying to use the author field of the oeis for FindStat

Rubey Martin martin.rubey at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 2 21:29:11 CEST 2015

Dear Neil,

> I concur with Robert Israel's response. Write a better parser!

Well, I tried and found that I can't. In fact, I believe it would be quite a challenge for a computer program to distill reliably the author(s) from strings like

_N. J. A. Sloane_, based on a message from Guy Steele and D. E. Knuth

(I'm not saying that it cannot be done, just that it would be rather hard.  How would it know that "Guy" is part of a name, same for
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steele ?)

Thanks anyway.  If it's so difficult, then it's probably best not to use the author information in FindStat.

Martin