[seqfan] Re: What is THE random permutation?

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:48:48 CEST 2015

I nosed into the paper far enough to understand that the so-called "random
permutation" is not itself a permutation of anything. Rather, in some
technical sense, it "contains" all finite permutations as "induced
substructures". Furthermore, it is the unique smallest "structure" (this is
a term of art from model theory) of the class of all finite permutations.
This uniqueness, I think, is only up to isomorphism, so even if it were
representable as, say, a permutation of the integers (and I don't think it
is; I think it's a different kind of object), the representation wouldn't
be unique.