[seqfan] Re: What is THE random permutation?

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Jun 26 00:45:42 CEST 2015

I've looked at things like this a few times. The problem I come up against is that "something like that". There seem to be lots of possibilities, none of which particularly recommend themselves. This one may be the best.

(I've mostly looked at sequences with every finite sequence of positive integers as a subsequence. That means you want all compositions of n to be in S_n. Otherwise it is a very similar challenge.)

By the way, you want to take minimal length as the first criterion, and only then look at the lexicographic order. Otherwise you can just keep inserting 1's.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters