[seqfan] Re: Evaluating sequences by same terms and differentindices

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Fri Mar 6 01:57:50 CET 2015

Hi Olivier,

Thanks so much for the input (I'll look up the terms with which I'm
unfamiliar), but perhaps I was unclear.  I wasn't really interested in the
nature of permutations, per se.

Rather, I'm trying to find a good way to describe comparing sequences
A,B,C..,Y by their different indices where their terms are the same.  So
a(f) = b(g) = c(h).. = y(z), but f, g, h.., z may not be equal.

This requires that the different sequences share all of the same terms (i.e.
are permutations of each other): they must in order to compare the all of
the indices.

Contrast this with comparing sequences by their same indices where their
terms may be different (the way formulas often are presented in OEIS, for
instance).  That is, f = g = h.. = z, but a(f), b(g), c(h).., y(z) may not
be equal. Here, there is no need for the sequences to share all of the same
terms.

This is the general concept.  I hope it's clearer now.

Specifically, though, I'm interested simply in comparing A064413 (the EKG
sequence) and A255582, which are very similar in growth and behavior.   Both
are permutations of the natural numbers.

I'm trying come up with a way to describe this idea:

A064413(m) = B255582(n) when m~n.   This is one way of saying the two
sequences are "similar".

So we're comparing different indices with respect to the same terms; i.e.,
when a(m) = b(n).  One simple way to operationalize "similarity" (or
"proximity", I suppose) is to find m-n when a(m) = b(n).  (There are other
ways to conceptualize "similarity"; but the key here is to use sequences
which are permutations of each other and evaluate a(m) = b(n)).

As an illustration, let A064413(m) be a(m) and let  B255582(n) be b(n).  For
example, consider just these terms:

a(5247) = 5458 = b(5250)
a(5248) = 2729 = b(5252)
a(5249) = 8187 = b(5254)

m-n = -3, -4, -5 which is relatively quite small, so m~n; thus the sequences
are "similar" (at least with respect to these three terms; as it turns out,
it appears to be the case for both entire sequences).

However, if we consider a(m) - b(n) where m=n, the sequences do not look so
similar:

a(5247) = 5458, b(5247) = 5457
a(5248) = 2729, b(5248) = 5456
a(5249) = 8187, b(5249) = 5463

So while a(m) - b(n) m=n may be quite large, m-n when a(m) = b(n) is quite
small.

The general principle of comparing sequences with different indices and same
terms can apply to any number of sequences which are permutations of each
other.   They can be evaluated with regard to "similarity" or any number of
other constructs.

So, is there a standard name or way to describe this general principle??  Is
there a name for the specific type of similarity" where  a(m) = b(n), m~n??

Cheers,
Bob