[seqfan] Re: Number Names

Marc LeBrun mlb at well.com
Fri Mar 13 22:03:23 CET 2015

To be a bit clearer:

I think it's perfectly fine (pace XKCD) for there to be multiple (XIV or
XIIII?) number-naming conventions, or, for that matter, multiple "standards"
for ANY other "convention parameter" that defines a sequence.  Single-valued
"offical" standards for everything aren't required -- the OEIS is a big
tent.  You just have to say WHICH one you're using for THAT sequence.

Charles' idea is excellent of having a page that lists a set of available
conventions in a particular domain.  It could help normalize nomenclature
for the conventions, provide a place to put longer explanations, and perhaps
even host a set of links to the sequences using that convention.

Personally I don't care much about number naming conventions, or Roman
numeral standards, or the like, but there are plenty of others (partition
ordering, say) that could also motivate similar pages -- perhaps all under a
"Standards and Conventions" umbrella topic in the wiki.