[seqfan] Re: DigitMean of a(n)

David Wilson davidwwilson at comcast.net
Sun May 10 15:34:47 CEST 2015

There's a fairly fast way to compute these.

As is my custom, let's call one these interesting numbers a "good number".
Let good number v have d digits with sum s.
Since v is a d-digit number, we have 10^(d-1) <= v < 10^d.
Since v is good number, we have v = [10^k * (s/d)].

Thus 10^(d-1) <= [10^k * (s/d)] < 10^d.
Only one value of k satisfies this inequality, namely k = ceil((d-1)/log10(s/d)).
Hence we have v = [10^ceil((d-1)/log10(s/d)) * (s/d)].
If the sum of digits of v is indeed s, then this v is the unique good number with d digits and digits sum s, else there is no such number.

So here is a way to generate these numbers quickly (forgive my C++)

// For each number of digits
for (d = 1; ; ++d)
{
	// For each possible digit sum of a d-digit number
	for (s = 1; s <= 9*d; ++s)
	{
		// Set v to only possible good number with d digits and digit sum s.
		v = [10^ceil((d-1)/log10(s/d)) * (s/d)];

		// If v is indeed good, print it
		If (sum of digits of v is s)
			print v;
	}
}

For accuracy, the log10() in has to be computed to more than d digits.
Some clever integer arithmetic could be used to compute v without using log10.