[seqfan] Re: Computational Efficiency Sequences

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Mon May 18 04:25:07 CEST 2015

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

With regard to the complexity functions, I simply mean to say that knowing
an algorithm is in O(n^3) doesn't give very much information regarding
related, exact sequences of "n".

Another list of sort sequences is found on the wiki (
http://oeis.org/wiki/Index_to_OEIS:_Section_So ).

I took a look at A001768, which counts comparisons in merge sort. After
doing some computations, I looked through the article and found out that
this sequence actually counts comparisons in Ford-Johnson sorting (
Allouche Shallit , Ex. 30 ).

If more keywords are ever added, maybe "comp" could describe sequences
related to computer science and / or algorithm complexity.

Reviewing my sequence from earlier, it seems possible to further reduce the
number of operations by skipping the first division at every iteration. It
is always the case that "a / a = 1".

Thanks,

Brad