[seqfan] Re: tan(n). Was: Into subtleties of musical information

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:42:08 CEST 2015

Veikko Pohjola wrote in
http://list.seqfan.eu/pipermail/seqfan/2015-May/014917.html

>My point is that instead of random search one could simply accept my conjecture for the moment and focus to proving it (probably indirectly), as a separate project.

The problem in that is that my intuition says that such a proof is not
appearing any time soon (that there absolutely would not exist any
other fixed points for floor(tan(k)) than 0 or 1), although I guess
that statistically they are very very unlikely. (Look how fast
https://oeis.org/A249836 grows).

On the other hand, as the proposed new definition of A258024 is now:
"Natural numbers n such that the iteration of the function
floor(tan(k)) applied to n eventually reaches [the fixed point] 1 (or
any larger integer if such fixed points exist), where k is interpreted
as k radians."

and if we separately had, matching exactly your original definition:
"Natural numbers n such that the iteration of the function
floor(tan(k)) applied to n eventually reaches [the fixed point] 1,
where k is interpreted as k radians."

then we would have two separate A-numbers, from which we would not
even know whether they are duplicates of each other or not. On the
contrary, it is easy to sprout a new, more restricted sequence from
A258024 if such mythical extra fixed points > 1 are ever found, and
then mention there that "Differs from its supersequence A258024 for
the first time at n=<some really huge number which probably does not
even fit onto a single line>".

I understand that the new, more inclusive definition might mar a bit
the elegance of your original mathematical idea, but for all practical
purposes the sequence (and its first differences A258200 which I'm
keen to hear once it is accepted) is still the same.

>As for the potential proof, it should be remembered that also the number of levels of nesting is without limit. A quick intuitive playing with the potential of finding a case where nesting would not lead to 0 or 1 suggests a fictive loop where floor(tan(n)) returns to its value at some earlier level of nesting.

Thanks for pointing this out! I had completely overlooked the
potential existence of finite cycles larger than one. I added
respective comments to A258024 and A258022.

>As an example, between 0…10^5 to reach the limiting value (0) the deepest level required is 8 for n=18116.
>The approach is straight-forward: 18116, -168, -14, -8, 6, -1, -2, 2, -3, 0

Yes, please see the proposed new sequence
https://oeis.org/draft/A258020
"Number of steps to reach a fixed point with map x -> floor(tan(x))
when starting the iteration with the initial value x = n. "

Now, the negative side of Z with respect to these functions is still
unexplored. If anybody is interested creating analogues for A258020,
A258021, A258022, A258024 and A258200, but having definitions like:

"Number of steps to reach a fixed point with map x -> floor(tan(x))
when starting the iteration with the initial value x = -n."

"Eventual fixed point of map x -> floor(tan(x)) when starting the
iteration with the initial value x = -n."

"Negative integers n with property that when starting from x=n, the
map x -> floor(tan(x)) reaches [the fixed point] 0 (or any other
integer less than 1 if such negative fixed points exist)."

"Negative integers n such that the iteration of the function
floor(tan(k)) applied to n eventually reaches [the fixed point] 1 (or
any larger integer if such fixed points exist), where k is interpreted
as k radians."

the above two could also made to have their terms positive, like:
"Natural numbers n >= 1 such that the iteration of the function
floor(tan(k)) applied to -n eventually reaches [the fixed point] 1 (or
any larger integer if such fixed points exist), where k is interpreted
as k radians."

and then also the first differences of either of those two (or both),
whichever is more interesting for its musical or any other interest
potential.
That function floor goes towards the smaller nearest integer also on
the negative side makes these behave differently (from their positive
brothers), even though tan(-n) = -tan(n).

Best regards,

Antti

PS. Please keep my mail address on the list of recipients, because
then it is easier for me to reply, as I will not receive the mails
sent to the SeqFan-list only, until they have been collected into the
next digest.

> Veikko