[seqfan] Re: Digit scanning question

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 20 19:33:48 CEST 2015

I assume this is in base 10. This is an approximate calculation: I expect
the correct answer to be very complicated.

There are 10^n n-digit strings. If after scanning x (>= n) digits you have
seen k different n-digit substrings, each additional digit scans completes
a new n-digit substring with probability approximately 1 - k/10^n. Thus the
expected number of digits to scan to go from k to k+1 substrings is
approximately 1/(1 - k/10^n). The total expected number of digits to scan
is then approximately sum_{k=0}^{10^n-1} 1/(1 - k/10^n) = sum_{j=1}^{10^n}
10^n/j ~ 10^n log(10^n)

Cheers,
Robert