[seqfan] Re: Q about magic squares as produced by Matlab

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 27 23:59:57 CET 2015

This is a known issue with Matlab's "magic". The Matlab help file for magic
states:

-----------------------------
M = magic(n) returns an n-by-n matrix
constructed from the integers 1 through n^2 with
equal row and column sums. The order n must be a scalar greater than
or equal to 3.

Limitations
If you supply n less than 3, magic returns
either a nonmagic square, or else the degenerate magic squares 1 and [].
---------------------------------

In fact magic(2) returns the matrix

[ 1 3 ]
[ 4 2 ]

which does have determinant -10.

I guess we could insert the value -10, changing the Name to
"a(n) is the determinant of the matrix returned by the Matlab
command magic(n)", with a comment to the effect that for n=2 this
is not a magic square.  Or delete the 1 (on the grounds that Matlab
says n must be >= 3) and make the offset 3.

Cheers,
Robert