[seqfan] Re: MH problem

Andrew Weimholt andrew.weimholt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:11:13 CET 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 7:07 PM, <zbi74583.boat at orange.zero.jp> wrote:

>     Hi,Seqfans
>     Once I and my friend Kobayashi discussed about n-MH problem.
>     Where "n-MH" means n doors Monty Holl
>     Kobayashi is a scientist writer.
>     And I met a Sequence of probability related with n-MH problem

[...]

>     p(n) : 1,2/3,5/8,11/15,....

p(2) should be 1/2. With only two doors, you pick w/ 50/50 probability, and
there is no opportunity to switch doors. Either you've won, or you didn't.

If you start the sequence at n=1, then p(1) would be 1

If you start the sequence at n=0, then p(0) would be 0

I've confirmed, by hand, that p(4) is 5/8.

I do not know what is meant by "when Monty is a friend of the player".
Perhaps it is explained in the link to the blog, but I was unable to access
that page as my firewall here at work blocks it.

Andrew