[seqfan] Re: Software for searching for Wolstenholme primes?

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Tue Sep 29 09:40:32 CEST 2015

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:09:02AM -0500, David Wilson wrote:
> My guess would be probably not.
>
> If there were an efficient way to evaluate binomial coefficient
> residues, then would be an efficient way to evaluate factorial (I
> think), and we would all be using Wilson's theorem an efficient
> deterministic primality test.

For the original old question, check below.

Computing binomial(n,m) (mod p^q) is polynomial in
log(n),log(p) and q and in particular efficient.

See:
http://www.dms.umontreal.ca/~andrew/PDF/BinCoeff.pdf

Binomial coefficients modulo prime powers

I don't this gives deterministic primality test,
since if $p$ is composite the algorithm will return
"random" results AFAICT.

Would be glad if this claim is wrong :)

Computing binomials modulo composites likely will
break factoring.

(If you expect reply, please CC'me).