[seqfan] Re: A260119; Least positive integer k such that 2^n-1 and k^n-1 are relatively prime.

David Corneth davidacorneth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 09:54:59 CEST 2015

Hi Bob,

It's because I conjecture that a(n) is divisible by this product of primes
pp. That means that a(n) is of the form k = pp * m. Then I bluntly use
inspection and test odd m; m = 1, m = 3, m = 5, ... until I find a value k
such that gcd(k^n - 1, 2^n - 1) = 1. I put it up as conjecture because some
k aren't checked at all, it might be that k isn't divisible by pp. But if
it's divisible by pp then this is the least m, which makes the conjectured
values an upperbound. The pattern indeed is irregular and maybe a new
sequence must be created mentioning this m so that it's easier to
investigate them.

For some n, this takes a while to find, for example for n = 9900, m = 8795.

Does that clear things up?
Best,
David