[seqfan] Re: A089755

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Sep 19 07:28:45 CEST 2015

David: no, the definition is consistent. You are not understanding what is meant by retaining leading zeros.

After 13, the 1 is dropped, leaving 3. Since 1 digit numbers are prohibited, we can't get just make 3 the next term; it has to be 31.

After 103, the 1 is dropped and we have 03, which is two digits and thus acceptable. This appears in the database as 3, because the OEIS doesn't allow leading zeros; but it's "really" 03.

After 03, we drop the leading 0, and get something starting with 3: specifically 37.

If I were to program it, which I probably won't, I would store the sequence as strings instead of as numbers.

This sequence is clearly the work of someone who, at least at that time, did not understand how to use the empty string.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters

P.S. If someone can provide a better description, I'm fine with that.