[seqfan] Re: Sequences with very large entries.

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 13:33:22 CEST 2015

I don't think we need to put a hard limit on the size of numbers in b-files.

In these days of "big data", I think we can be flexible.

It may be that some of the display commands (such as "graph")
will fail if the numbers get too large, but I don't think we should worry
about that.

This was due to restrictions on how large numbers the R language
could handle, but hopefully that has changed
in the ten or 15 years since we first wrote the "graph" program.

I feel the same about the number of terms that are displayed in the DATA
lines.
The old limit of a couple of hundred characters was imposed because the
data was stored on punched cards! I think we can be more flexible now.

We probably do need a limit, but it should be a lot more than 260
characters,
and we should not be very strict about enforcing it.

As for the limits on the size of b-files (or a-files), again
we should be very flexible. I find that I very often need more terms
than are in the b-files when I'm trying to understand a sequence.

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com