[seqfan] Re: Sequences with very large entries.

Charles Greathouse charles.greathouse at case.edu
Mon Sep 21 20:56:42 CEST 2015

The limitation on the number of terms in sequences was originally for
technical reasons, as Neil mentioned. But it's still a good idea to keep to
roughly this size for human reasons: it's a pain for the reader to scroll
through lots of terms. But this is intentionally a soft limit, because
there are times when it's worth the slight inconvenience to read through
more terms. For example, just recently I extended a sequence by one or two
lines (beyond the usual maximum) because previously the terms shown for the
sequence were identical to the natural numbers. I extended it until the
first difference to make the distinction clear.

The restriction on b-files isn't so important for human readers, since
b-files are more likely to be read by machines. But there's at least some
kind of argument to be made for limiting terms just for sanity's sake --
there are lots of easy sequences which grow very quickly, and storing and
transferring large files is a pain.

Charles Greathouse
Analyst/Programmer
Case Western Reserve University