[seqfan] Re: Turing machine sequences

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 00:32:33 CEST 2015

I want to clarify that in the case of "binary" machines, as I originally
suggested, with only 1 and 0 as tape symbols, the formalism I suggested
will not work with the generality I had hoped. If a sequence of the first
kind returns to 0, it must be periodic, because when the value is 0, the
tape is all 0's, and the machine has returned to its original state. So,
for example, A000035 (0,1,0,1,0,1,...) cannot be implemented as a Turing
sequence of any of the three kinds I proposed. That is why, with some
disappointment, I am starting to think about "ternary" machines, which have
three tape symbols.