[seqfan] Re: help with a sequence

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Fri Aug 5 11:54:33 CEST 2016

Hi Jamie,

Ok, if I understand correctly, what you're saying is when (prime(i) - prime
(j))/2 is prime, then the most ways to express n = (prime(i) + prime(j))/2
is when n = primorial(k)?  But that doesn't hold for 6 and 30.  And it seems
like there are a lot of counter-examples for a(n) being relatively large
when n has a relatively large number of unique primes.

Do you mean, rather, that there tend to be peaks when n is a multiple of
primorial(k), and the peaks amplify as k increases?  The first graph
certainly suggests that may be the case.  If so, I would definitely
recommend adding your sequence {0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,2,1,2,0,2...} i.e., a(n) is
the number of ways to express n = (prime(i) + prime(j))/2 when (prime(i) -
prime (j))/2 also is prime.  (Perhaps there's a better name for it).

BTW - what is the next prime n after a(5) where a(n) > 0?

Cheers,
Bob S
____