[seqfan] Re: Is A026477 determined by prime signatures?

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Sat Aug 27 04:48:46 CEST 2016

Hi Graeme et al.

OK, I think I understand a little better.

 > So, for example, if the input is (), (1,1), (1,1), then the output should
> be (2,1,1), (1,1,1,1)

Right, got it.

>My thinking is that I would apply the function to all triples of prime
> signatures that are IN the set to generate a list of prime signatures that
> are OUT.

OK, that explains why (2,2) is OUT:  () and (2) are IN and (), (2), (2)
generates (2,2).

But I'm still a little confused about a couple of things (forgive me if it's
clear from the programming ideas you've mentioned, but I don't program so I
couldn't see it, no matter how obvious). First, (1,1) is OUT so based on the
comment above, your approach doesn't seem to apply to (), (1,1), (1,1).
Second, say we do evaluate all triples (not just ones that are IN), then in
the  (), (1,1), (1,1) example, how do you distinguish that (1,1,1,1) is IN
but (2,1,1) is OUT??

Are you saying it's iterative, and that because (1) and (2) are IN then (1),
(1), (2) generates (2,1,1) OUT??   If so, I think your approach would work.

So I gather this is the method; let (P) be the partitions whose sum = S.
Testing for P as S increases:

S       (P)                IN or OUT

0        ()               IN  by definition

1        (1)             IN  essentially by definition

2        (2)             IN  no combination of (), (1) => (2)
         (1,1)          OUT  from (), (1), (1)

3        (3)            OUT  from (), (1), (2)
         (2,1)          OUT  from (), (1), (2)
        (1,1,1)        OUT  from (1), (1), (1)

4        (4)             IN  no combination of (), (1), (2) => (4)
         (3,1)          OUT  from (1), (1), (2)
         (2,2)          OUT  from (), (2), (2)
        (2,1,1)        OUT  from (1), (1), (2)
       (1,1,1,1)       IN  no triple combination of (), (1), (2), (4) =>
(1,1,1,1)

Then test for S=5 with triple combinations of (), (1), (2), (4) and
(1,1,1,1), which generates only (3,1,1) as IN; add that to the list to test
S=6, etc.

Is this what you meant by applying the partitions??   It might be pretty
cumbersome but I can't see a more efficient approach.

Cheers,
Bob