[seqfan] Measuring OEIS Sequences ?

Brad Klee bradklee at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 00:41:59 CET 2016

Hi Seqfans,

Some of the OEIS sequences are measureable in nature, a premiere example is
the pair ( A038534 , A038533 ), which together describe the energy
dependence of a plane pendulum's period.

For these types of sequences, we could link to measurement repositories,
where available. See for example:

https://github.com/bradklee/DataAnalysis/tree/master/PlanePendulum

https://github.com/bradklee/DataAnalysis/blob/master/PlanePendulum/ExamplePlot.png
>>https://github.com/bradklee/DataAnalysis/blob/master/PlanePendulum/fit.log

Already in v0.1, the fit log gives the following estimates for extracted
parameters

(a(1),a(2),a(3) ) = ( 0.2448 +/- 0.0045 , 0.1635 +/- 0.0113 , 0.0934 +/-
0.0152 )

to  compare with theoretical frac. values ( decimals truncated )

(a(1),a(2),a(3) ) = ( 1/4, 9/64, 25/256 ) ~ (0.2500 , 0.1406 , 0.0976)

All measurements are within 3 sigma, and the percent difference is
approximately 2%, 16%, 4% for linear, quadratic, cubic coefficients
respectively.

So a few questions:
~ Should physically measureable sequences have there own tag / wiki topic ?
~ Should we link to data repositories if relevant / available ?
~ If yes, should we define accuracy / precision requirements ?

For the record: I think Y / Y / Y . Let's see if anyone has an argument for

Best Regards,

Bradley Klee

In the fanfiction voice:
<<Throughout time the Force remains cloaked in antinomies
where opposites rarely find themselves exactly equals
and the power strugle pertains to nothing less valuable
than fundamental laws of universe, cast in mortal form,
in thrift teaching. With satisfactory accuracy and precision
data slices defend the most adherent and blasted derision.>>