[seqfan] Re: A new sequence in Dutch magazine "Pythagoras"

Arie Bos arie.0.bos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:25:16 CET 2016

"Andere rijen" is "Other sequences", but it appears to be only one other sequence, the others were flawed.

Given two fractions a_1/b_1 and a_2/b_2 with period p_1 and p_2, what is the maximal period of a_1/b_1 * a_2/b_2?
If you make a table with all combinations of (p_1,p_2) you get (see table in page 29 of http://www.pyth.eu/jaargangen/Pyth55-5.pdf)
    1     2      3      4        5        6        7
1  9  18    27    36     45      54      63
2      198  54  396    90    594    126
3          2997  108  135  5994   189
4                39996  180  3564   252
5                         499995 270    315
Column-wise, this becomes  9, 18, 198, 27, 54, 2997, 36, 396, 108, 39996, …

Hope I made no mistakes.
Arie Bos