[seqfan] Re: gf's for partitions into finite number of elements

Olivier Gerard olivier.gerard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 09:16:53 CET 2016

Dear David,

The coefficients for your formulas correspond to multinomial coefficients,
A036039 (reversed), which decompose permutations according to the
partitions of n. You will have A000041(n) distinct coefficients.

This will allow you to generalise your formula to any order.

This, combined with Inclusion/Extension seems to be the background
of what you found out, since the coefficient of x^k in the resulting
function
is composed of every way of reaching the k-th degree from multiplication
between f(x) and its powers.

For instance, at order 4, the correspondance between  partitions
and algebraic terms will be

f(x)^4 ...  1111
f(x^2)f(x)^2 ...  211
f(x^2)^2 ... 22