[seqfan] Re: Another sequence idea: Year of n-th Millennium Prize

Alonso Del Arte alonso.delarte at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:26:27 CET 2016

Not to pile on, but I think we should have an entry for "even prime
numbers" before we have one for Millennium Prize years. The even prime
numbers entry could also include −2. It's a far more fundamental short
sequence.

But more importantly, who would look either of these up? After December 31,
2010, I doubt anyone looks up the number 2010 by itself in the OEIS. This
year, I suspect 2016 gets looked up by itself a lot but still lags far
behind numbers like 1234567890 or 6210001000.

People interested in Venus transits will probably not look 2012 up by
itself. More likely, they'd search for 2004, 2012, or for "Venus transits."

Al

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Andrew Weimholt <andrew.weimholt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> NO
>
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Felix Fröhlich <felix.froe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Sequence Fans
> >
> > here is another idea where I would like to confirm whether this would be
> > okay to submit or not before actually submitting it:
> >
> > "Year of awarding of Millennium prize for the n-th solved Millennium
> prize
> > problem."
> >
> > For more information about these problems, please see
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems
> >
> > The only term currently available is a(1) = 2010, since only one
> Millennium
> > prize has been awarded so far (for the solution of the Poincare
> > conjecture). I am aware some people do not really like one term
> sequences.
> > This is essentially a finite 7-term sequence.
> >
> > I am generally of the opinion that a sequence should not be rejected just
> > because it is short (this does not mean, on the other hand, that I
> advocate
> > adding a sequence like, say, "Even prime numbers"). So I believe if a
> > sequence has only one term but is important, interesting or known to have
> > more terms, such sequences are generally worth of inclusion. (I think for
> > example that if the first Wall-Sun-Sun prime is found, that should be
> > accepted as a one-term sequence).
> >
> > I believe the Millennium prize problems are an important list of open
> > mathematical problems of the 21st century and the sequence is worth of
> > inclusion in the OEIS, even if only one term is currently available.
> >
> > And finally, yes, the sequence is essentially time-dependent, but in a
> way
> > such that a term does not change once established.
> >
> > So, what do you all think? Should I submit the sequence?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Felix
> >
> > --

Alonso del Arte