[seqfan] student from iceland looking for mentor to work on OEIS sequences

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:57:43 CET 2016

Dear seq fans, a student just wrote with the following message.
is anyone interested in working with him?  it would not require much of
your time, just some guidance.

from James Thomas Robb jamesr15 at ru.is
start

Hello Mr. Sloane,

I am a student at the university of reykjavik in his first year of a degree
in computer science and discrete mathematics. There is an organization here
called Rannis which has been offering students small grants to work on
research based projects over the summer.

During my semester here, I wrote a piece of software to start finding the

In writing the software and learning how to search for the next integer, I
found myself having a lot of fun. When Rannis sent out the call for
applications, I thought to myself that I could likely submit an application
asking for funding to further my search.

I approached one of my math professors, Henning Ulfarsson, whom I
understand you know, and he said he and his one of his grad students would
be glad to be my advisors, but he suggested I do a few other things before
proceeding. Namely, he wanted my application to Rannis to be more
generalized, in that I would be searching for terms in a number of
sequences, rather than just one.

Henning suggested that I reach out to you to see if there were sequences
related to the one I am looking at that I could also do work on. He also
suggested that I would reach out to OEIS to see if someone on that side
could act an advisor in some capacity or another too.

That being said; Would you be able to assist me in some finding some
similar integer sequences that need more terms found? Is there someone I
could speak with at OEIS that might be willing to act as an advisor in some
capacity (in addition to Henning)?

end