[seqfan] "Polyrhythmic" sequences

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Tue Feb 2 19:38:41 CET 2016

Hi Seqfans,

A while ago there was some interest here in relating music to OEIS
sequences.  Apparently there is a general interest in applying or relating
sequences to areas outside of mathematics, music being one such area.

In December I proposed using the concept of "polyrhythmic" sequences for
this purpose; they combine certain sequences congruent to 1 mod k, which
reflect where beats are played in what are called "polyrhythms" in music.
Seems to me that this is one of the easiest and most intuitive applications
of sequences to music; in general, I think rhythm-related concepts may be
easier to apply than melody or harmony-related ones.

A267027 is the P(3,4) polyrhythmic sequence; a brief description of the
concept is shown there.  A047251 is the P(2,3) sequence.  As far as I can
tell, these are the only two polyrhythmic sequences in OEIS.

Since there was very little response to the December post, I took it to mean
there was little interest in the idea.  If there is some interest, might
anyone want to pursue this or perhaps some related ideas further?

Cheers,
Bob Selcoe