[seqfan] Re: A269526, an infinite Sudoku-type array

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Fri Jul 1 13:34:45 CEST 2016

Hi,

Unless I'm missing something, I think there's a straightforward proof that
the columns, rows and diagonals are permutations.

Let the array T(n,k) in A269526 start T(0,0).

Let j be the smallest number not yet appearing in Column K, and let F be the
first cell in K where j may appear.  j only must avoid elements from prior
(i.e, to the left of K) columns.  Since no element can repeat in any
columns, the maximum number of elements that j must avoid is 3k (i.e, the
elements in the row and two diagonals to the left of where j is being
evaluated).  Therefore j must appear no later than 3k+1 places after F, and
columns are permutations.

Same logic applies to the rows and diagonals, though the maximum number of
places after F is different: 2n+k+1 for rows and n+2k+1 for diagonals.  The
constraints probably can be tightened, but it's not necessary for a proof.

If this proof is acceptable I would like to add it as a comment in A269526.

Cheers,
Bob S.