[seqfan] Re: Nonattacking queens on a quarter-board

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Thu Jul 14 19:53:36 CEST 2016

Hi Seqfans,

I wrote:

>>>I think probably the number of allowable queens (q) is< n-1, and that as
increases, n-q increases.  If so, is there a definable limit?

To answer my own question, I conjecture 2n/3 + 1 as n -> inf., which is half
the maximum number of queens possible on half of a chessboard (symmetric
about its diagonal, making a k x k right triangle).  This quarter-board is
just half of that right triangle symmetric about its main diagonal.

Is this reasonable enough to post as a comment on A274933??

Cheers,
Bob S.