[seqfan] Re: duplicate seqs?, re: Happy PI day

Frank Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Mar 19 09:14:30 CET 2016

First, the strategy is to look for matches including the signs first, and then for matches ignoring the signs. (Actually, I'm pretty sure it's all done in one pass, but that's the effect.)

The first match returned for your search, A011616, does in fact match the search string exactly - but this is almost certainly a false match.

A070750, however, does not. From the very beginning: I don't see 4 consecutive 1's anywhere in that sequence. Nor does its definition look anything like what you want. (Don't be misled by primes = 1 (mod 4) appearing there; the definitions are otherwise entirely different.)

A209661 was not returned as an (early) match to your query, because you were looking for a(23) = -1, while A209661 correctly has a(23) = 1.

If you are sure of your signs, you can precede the list with "signed:". This would have gotten you only A011616 in this case, because your search was wrong.

When a search doesn't turn up what you expected to find, the first thing to do is make sure that your search string is correct. I've made mistakes with that many times.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters