[seqfan] Maintaining OEIS amidst a forest of slowly dying URLs

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 03:59:37 CEST 2016

> Robert, nice work!  How about uploading your page to the OEIS server?
>
> we have a huge problem with links to personal web pages, they disappear
all the time without warning

There are a lot of my webpages being referenced in OEIS (almost 100, last
time I checked which was a few years ago :)

My content can be mirrored, as it has a Creative Commons license that
allows that.

... but if it gets mirrored, it will get out of date. I don't change every
webpage often, but any page might get changed any time and I don't seem to
be able to predict in advance when they'll change. About once or twice a
year I find some mistake I made in the HTML, and I have to recompile
everything from source. Then all the pages change. The site also has
internal links, and they're relative URLs not absolute, so a mirrored page
has to be part of a complete mirror, or has to be modified in some way
before the links would work.

But that's just my stuff. These are common problems affecting all
publishers of information, including the OEIS itself.

They are also problems affecting us as beneficiaries (or "readers",
"researchers", whatever) of the various web-related sources that are
referenced in the OEIS.

What I'd like is some kind of automatic archive service, that automatically
updates itself, so I don't have to think about it. Then when I die, or go
insane, or lose my domain name (a fate worse than all others!) or whatever,
then everyone will know nothing is going to change any more, so someone can
go on that archive and get copies for the OEIS or for whatever other
purpose.

--
  Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com