[seqfan] Re: Can a repunit be a Fibonacci number?

Max Alekseyev maxale at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:37:25 CEST 2016

Integer x is a Fibonacci number iff y^2 - 5*x^2 = +- 4 for some integer y.
If x is a repunit, then x = (z^2 - 1)/9 or x = (10*z^2 - 1)/9 for some
integer z (additionally we know that z must be a power of 10, but we'll
ignore this fact).
The systems of equations
{ y^2 - 5*x^2 = +- 4, x = (z^2 - 1)/9 }
is equivalent to a biquadratic curve y^2 = 5*((z^2 - 1)/9)^2 +- 4 and can
be solved in integers via elliptic curves in SAGE or MAGMA, or with a Thue
solver as explained in my paper:
http://www.emis.ams.org/journals/JIS/VOL17/Alekseyev/alekseyev3.html
Similarly we can solve the system { y^2 - 5*x^2 = +- 4, x = (10*z^2 - 1)/9
}.

So, with some computational effort we can likely find all repunit Fibonacci
numbers (in any fixed base).

Regards,
Max