[seqfan] Re: Primes of the form 8n + 7 or -x + 4xy + 4y^2

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 21:09:27 CET 2016

Al,  You said:

If y is even, then 4xy + 4y^2 is a multiple of 8. With y even and x odd, we
see that x^2 = 1 mod 8, which "flips over" to -x^2 = 7 mod 8. Therefore,
primes of the form -x + 4xy + 4y^2 are a trivial, not proper, subset of
primes of the form 8n + 7.

I guess it still remains to show that every prime of the form 8n+7 can be
reached in this way?

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com