[seqfan] Re: Initial Digits of Ternary Pi

Hans Havermann gladhobo at bell.net
Tue Nov 29 17:03:00 CET 2016

I wasn't entirely happy with the choices I made for my ternary pi digits graphics. I had mapped digit 1 to the vector (0,1), digit 2 to (1,0), and digit 0 to (-1,-1), all in order to keep the accumulated values on integer lattice points. In a currently working-on remake, I'm mapping digit 1 to (1/2,√3/2), digit 2 to (1/2,-√3/2), and digit 0 to (-1,0). Here is a first attempt at an oversized (you might need to click on it to see it at full resolution) walk to 3^12 digits of ternary pi (end-points in red):

http://chesswanks.com/num/TernaryPiWalk.jpg

In Mathematica:

r = ListPlot[{t[[1]], t[[-1]]}, PlotStyle -> {Red, AbsolutePointSize[6]}]; Show[ListLinePlot[t, AspectRatio -> Automatic], r]

where t is my list of accumulated points. If anyone knows Mathematica well enough to tell me how I might spice up the walk with colors, I'm all ears.