[seqfan] Re: Looking for a paper from J London Math Soc 1930

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:17:34 CET 2016

I would like to say that I really appreciate the response from
the Sequence Fans to my questions. Replies from (I think) New Zealand,
France, and Spain. Wow!
The world may be falling apart, politically and ecologically, but the OEIS
is a good way to escape
the troubles.

By the way, here is how I came across the Wilton paper.

When I retired from AT&T/Bell Labs in 2012, I moved a large
number of boxes of papers home. I am slowly going through them, finding
many interesting things.
These are papers that I have collected over the past 55 years.

There are many new sequences buried in these old papers.
If you look at the sequences I've added to the OEIS in the past year, you
will see many from the distant past. A278567 is a recent example.
See also the mysterious A278575.

In one box there were a lot of offprints that used to belong
to D H Lehmer in Berkeley. (Remember in the old days when
you published a paper you would get 50 free offprints to give out
to your friends?)  Some of these are over 100 years old.

For example, there is an offprint Ueber Fareysche Doppelreihen by Heinrich
Made,
from Giessen, 1903.

There are many papers by Lehmer himself, one of which is "The vanishing of
Ramanujan's function tau(n)" from 1947, which mentions the Wilton paper.  I
have annotated it  (the Lehmer paper) with references to the sequences it
mentions, and I'm going to scan it and add it to all those sequences.
There are two other sequences in the Wilton paper which are new, and later
today they will be
A278578, A278579.

Best regards
Neil