[seqfan] Re: Two missing sequences based on the "semicircles on a line" problem A290447

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 23:31:30 CEST 2017

Rob,  I don't think they can be the same, because of the basic fact
that for the semicircles problem, as the number
of points increases, there are points where x circles meet, where x
can be arbitrarily large. The effect of this is to reduce the number
of little regions.

I say this with confidence, because I have been trying to go the other
way: that is, take the arrangement of the semicircles, and try to curl
up the baseline to make a circle (or even a horseshoe)  in which the
incidences are unchanged, but the lines get "straighter".  And it
seems to be a dead end, nothing nice seems to happen.

So I expect that for my first question, the "no. of regions", it will
be less than A055795 = A000127 - 1 after a while. Starting probably at
n=9, where - as Allan will confirm - one would need very tiny eyeballs
to do the count by eye!  (n=9 is the first time there is a triple
intersection)

Best regards
Neil

Email: njasloane at gmail.com