[seqfan] Re: (no subject)

israel at math.ubc.ca israel at math.ubc.ca
Thu Dec 7 05:10:36 CET 2017

Of course, we don't know whether the Fermat primes are finite or not.
We do know that all primes of the form 2^n+1, and more generally a^n+b^n
where one of a and b is even and the other odd,
must be of the quite special form a^(2^k)+b^(2^k),
because if n is divisible by an odd number d, a^n + b^n would be
divisible by a^(n/d) + b^(n/d).

But all this says about 1+2^a*3^b being prime is that gcd(a,b)
must be a power of 2 (including 1).

Cheers,
Robert